Going by traditions, February 14 seems to be made for those in a romantic relationship, but looking at it from a fresh perspective, it can actually be interpreted as a day to celebrate universal love, be it for family members or even pets and best friends. For female companions around the world, Valentine’s Day can easily transform into a Galentine.
Having inserted itself into pop culture dictionary by way of style magazines like Glamour, Galentine marks a significant moment in the lives of metropolitan ladies and ultimately refers to a massive celebration of female solidarity, where girl best friends can gather together and make a toast to their friendship, whether or not they’re in the singles club (well, most of the time they’re single and happy – like me, for example). How they celebrate it is up to them.
Tons of creative ideas can lead to a Galentine’s Day that’s as sweet as sugar. Not sure where to start? Feel free to peek into the list below to help you plan that unforgettable meet-up with your gal pals. Also included are a selection of songs and films (from signature rom-coms to friend-tastic titles) to amp up your evening should you all choose to stay in.
Happy Galentine’s Day!
HOW YOU CAN CELEBRATE
- Relax at your favorite cafe and have quality time with friends over coffee/hot chocolate/cappuccino/latte/tea. Mouthwatering snacks like pancakes and waffles also await you.
- Visit an art museum and enjoy all the paintings and installations.
- Make pasta together and gather around the TV for some DVD and Netflix time.
- Take a trip to a chocolate factory and shop for lots of chocolates afterwards.
- Go ice-skating.
- Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 1 & 2
- Mary Poppins
- St Elmo’s Fire
- Sleepless in Seattle
- Legally Blonde 1 & 2
- The Help
- Mona Lisa Smile
- Toy Story 1 & 2
- The Artist
- La La Land
- Leap Year
- Midnight in Paris
- 500 Days of Summer
- Two Weeks Notice
- Letters to Juliet
- The Other Woman
- Leap Year
- “In the Heart of Every Girl” ~ Elton John
- “Real Friends” ~ Camila Cabello
- “A Little Help From My Friends” ~ The Beatles
- “You’ve Got a Friend a Me” ~ Randy Newman/Michael Buble
- “One Short Day” ~ from Wicked
- “I Am Woman” ~ Jordin Sparks
- “Salute” ~ Little Mix
- “You’ve Got a Friend” ~ Carole King
- “Forget You” ~ CeeLo Green
- “Beautiful Life” ~ Nick Fradiani
- “A Love That Will Last” ~ Renee Olstead
- “Smile” ~ Lily Allen
Photo Credit: ElegantNewYork.com